Designed by Easton’s first professional architect William Michler, the building now known as Paxinosa Elementary School was built in 1925 as Easton High School. In the 1950s, the school became a middle school with a full renovation completed in 1974. By 2005, the building was renamed Paxinosa Elementary School and began serving Easton Area School District’s youngest student population from kindergarten to fifth grade. Paxinosa sits along Northampton Street in Easton’s West Ward, a densely-populated neighborhood just outside downtown that has a reputation as the city’s roughest. Street violence and a lack of adequate parks have positioned the school as a safe space for many students and their families. The community school is a resource for residents who use the spaces for academics, arts, meetings and celebrations.